Stepped Up Parking Enforcement to Start July 20
Enforcement was scaled back due to stay-at-home/safer-at-home orders
Elkins, W. Va., July 13, 2020: Enforcement of city parking laws will return to normal on Monday, July 20, Elkins officials have announced. After the governor’s declaration of a statewide state of emergency in March, city officials deemphasized and even suspended issuing citations for street sweeper parking restrictions and certain other parking rules in Elkins. With many businesses having reopened, officials say there is a need to return to normal enforcement of street sweeper parking restrictions and all other parking laws in the city.
“Our city, along with the rest of the nation, has experienced extraordinary challenges this year resulting in modifications to business and personal schedules for many,” said Elkins Mayor Van Broughton in a notification letter sent last week to many city businesses and residents. “As many businesses and residents return to modified or normal operating procedures, so shall parking enforcement.”
The mayor’s letter listed violations about which the city hears the most frequent complaints and which may have been receiving reduced enforcement in recent months. These and all other parking violations will now be cited when encountered by enforcement personnel:
- Parallel parking facing in the wrong direction
- Street sweeper parking restrictions (please note: vehicles may be parked on the sidewalk temporarily during your designated sweeping time)
- 3-hour parking limits downtown and in Seneca Mall lot
- Parking on and other obstructions of sidewalks in all residential and business districts (except during street sweeping)
- Obstruction of alleyways
- Parking on Railroad Avenue except in lined spaces near the Delmonte and the Depot (the rest of the street is a no parking zone)
If businesses wish to seek exceptions to these or other parking rules, they should apply to the city clerk by submitting the following information:
- Contact name, phone number, and email address
- Name and address of business
- Description of requested exception and its location
- The reason for the request
Although not all such requests can be granted, a response will be provided within 14 days.
Residents, business owners, and visitors are reminded that free, unlimited parking is available in the unpaved sections of the lot behind city hall. The street sweeper parking schedule may be found here: www.bit.ly/ElkinsStreetSweeper.